ADVICE message for a grass fire in Brooweena (west of Maryborough) as at 5.30pm
4/12/2012 5:36:59 PM
A large grass fire is expected to burn overnight in inaccessible country near Maryborough-Biggenden Road, Brooweena and the Aramara Township (west of Maryborough).
Multiple fire crews will remain on scene throughout the night monitoring the situation, conducting backburning operations and strengthening containment lines.
Two aircrafts were used earlier today to conduct water bombing operations and to conduct air reconnaissance. The fire, which broke out around 8.55am, is posing no threat to properties.
Residents should consider taking precautionary measures including:
- Put on protective clothing
- Drink lots of water
- Move car/s to a safe location
- Close windows and doors and shut blinds
- Bring pets inside and restrain them (leash, cage or secure room) and provide water
- Wet down fine fuels close to buildings
- Remove garden furniture, doormats and other items
- Seal all gaps under doors and screens
- Fill containers with water - eg bath, sinks, buckets, wheelie bins, etc
- Have ladders ready for roof space access (inside) and against roof (outside)
- Have generator or petrol pump ready
- Check and patrol outside for embers and extinguish any spot fires and seek shelter as
the fire front arrives.
Regular updated information will be provided on the QFRS Rural Operations website at www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au or at www.fire.qld.gov.au or by listening to their local radio station. For information on current bushfire incidents visit http://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/map.html .
Contact for media enquiries: DCS media unit on (07) 3635 3310.