Updated ADVICE Message for grass fire east of Herberton (Atherton) as at 10am
27/11/2012 10:06:22 AM
The Queensland Fire and Rescue Service (QFRS) is advising:
A large grass fire continues to burn in the vicinity of Alma and Denbigh Roads, Herberton. Four fire crews are at the scene of the fire and more are responding throughout the day.
Backburning operations will continue throughout the day at the end of E Hill Road and around Moomin.
The fire, which has been burning since around 11am on Sunday, 25 November, is causing a large smoke haze and motorists are urged to drive to conditions.
Residents in the vicinity of Herberton, Wondecla and Moomin are asked to remain vigilant and close their windows and doors. If they suffer from respiratory illness they should keep medications close by.
There is no threat to property at this time. However, if residents believe their home has come under threat they are asked to call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
Residents should consider taking precautionary measures including:
• Put on protective clothing
• Drink lots of water
• Move car/s to a safe location
• Close windows and doors and shut blinds
• Bring pets inside and restrain them (leash, cage or secure room) and provide water
• Wet down fine fuels close to buildings
• Remove garden furniture, doormats and other items
• Seal all gaps under doors and screens
• Fill containers with water - eg bath, sinks, buckets, wheelie bins, etc
• Have ladders ready for roof space access (inside) and against roof (outside)
• Have generator or petrol pump ready
• Check and patrol outside for embers and extinguish any spot fires and seek shelter as
the fire front arrives.
Regular updated information will be provided on the QFRS Rural Operations website at www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au or at www.fire.qld.gov.au or by listening to their local radio station. For information on current bushfire incidents visit http://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/map.html .
Contact for media enquiries: DCS media unit on (07) 3635 3310.